Whether you’re moving overseas, cross-country, or locally, there are various factors that can influence how much movers will charge you. Having an idea of some of these factors is a great way to ensure that you select the best mover.
A lot of people are quick to choose the least expensive moving company, but that’s the wrong approach. The effect of this is that it can lead to enormous bills and even cost you your items.
This article will give you an idea of cheap movers in nyc for a one-bedroom apartment locally. You’ll also find the different factors that can influence the cost of your move below, so continue reading.
What’s the Cost of Moving a One-Bedroom Locally?
On average, the cost of moving a one-bedroom apartment locally is between $700 to $1,500. Most movers charge for a local move on a per-hour bases. Therefore, if your move takes longer, you’ll pay more for the move.
Any move that is within the state lines is a local move, even if it’s 200miles away. For a local move, it’s advisable to find a licensed and insured local mover. If you choose an unlicensed company, you might end up paying for all the liabilities you encounter during the move.
Another thing to ensure is that you perform detailed research before you choose a mover. This is a great way to ensure that they’re a licensed and insured company. A general advice for you if you want to find the cost of a move locally is to request a free quote. Most movers are happy to give an estimate for your move, and you only need to give them your specifications.
Factors that Influence Apartment Moving Cost
Here are some of the main factors that can impart the cost a mover will charge for your move. It’s important that you consider each of these factors below.
- Distance: One of the main factors that influence the cost of the move is distance. If you’re moving to a far place, even locally, you are more likely to pay more. This additional payment will be for crew and driver pay, additional pay, and other liability.
- Weight:Weight is also a factor that can influence the moving cost, whether locally or out of state. If you have more items to move, you are more likely to spend more for the move. As mentioned earlier, local movers generally charge on an hourly basis. With that, if you have more items to move, it will take the movers more time to physically move these items. If the distance is a long one, more items will increase the weight of the truck, and this can also increase the cost of fuel. In a case where your items are too much for the truck to handle, you may need to get another truck, which will cost you more. It’s worth noting that with more items, you’ll also need more crew members to complete the job.
- Ease of Access: The next factor to have in mind is the ease of access to the items you want to move. Tight parking and difficult driveways only make it hard for the truck to access your home. This will increase the amount of money you spend on the move. Therefore, you need to be sure that the place you are moving to and from is easy to access to minimize cost.
- Long Carries: This feature is also related to accessibility to your home. Most movers will charge you more for long carries to your residence and the truck. The general expected limit is around 75 feet, but this can vary depending on other factors. The longer the carries, the more you’re likely to pay.
- Specialty Furniture: Large China hutches, pianos, and other valuable antiques usually cost more to move. This is because they are expected to be handled with much care so that they don’t get damaged or ruined.
- Time of the Year: You might be surprised to find that the time of the year can also influence the amount of money you spend on a local move. In some places, the peak moving season usually lies between May and September. If you’re moving during these peak seasons, you’re more likely to spend more for your move.
- Last-minute Booking: Most moving companies will charge you extra if you book only within a few days for your move. This also applies to local moves. The good thing is that you can avoid these extra charges by booking at an earlier date.
- Add-on Services: In addition to the move distance and weight of the shipment, another thing that can add to the amount of money you pay for the move is add-on services. This includes services like car shipping, storage, and package. If you want any of these services, you’ll be expected to pay for them, which can add to the total money you spend for the move. If you hire a company to manage more services, it will skyrocket the amount you pay.
Planning your One-Bedroom Move
Now that you have an idea of what you’re likely to pay for your local move, here are some extra tips to help you plan ahead:
- Give yourself enough time: It’s advisable to start planning at least eight weeks before the move date. This will give you enough time to research on different mover companies in your area and find an ideal one to use.
- Inventory your home: During the eight weeks period before the move date, it’s important to perform an inventory of your home. Ensure that you make a list of everything you plan to move. This should also include the services you’ll need from the moving company.
- Get free quotes: As mentioned earlier, to get an idea of how much the move will cost, you should consider getting free quotes from the moving company. This is a great way to ensure that you book a moving service with the best pricing according to your needs and preferences.