Living in New York City is the most interesting experience one can have. Whether you are only living here for only a short period of time or your whole life, you will never get tired of this city. However, you have to choose where to live in the Big Apple. Manhattan is the most popular without doubt, but it is not necessary the best. Moving from Manhattan to Long Island might be what you are looking for. Here is all you need to know about this move. You can also ask professionals from Harlem moving companies to help you with your relocation.
Moving from Manhattan to Long Island – get a good moving company
Every move can be easy if you hire a good moving company. There are many of them on the market. However, not all of them are worth your time and money. For this reason, you should check the credentials of each moving company, read reviews and comments before you make your decision. For example, you can search about piano movers NYC to see what they offer and how it fits with your situation. Just be careful not to run into any fraudulent moving companies. This could be a major setback for your relocation.
Long Island is the longest and 11th biggest island in the United States. It is densely populated as many people wish to avoid the crazy bustling life of downtown. Most of Long Island area is suburban in its character, thus making it a perfect place to settle down and raise the family. For this reason, almost 40 percent of New York State lives here. It is very culturally and ethnically diverse, having some of the wealthiest neighborhoods as well as working-class ones. Apart from demographics, Long Island is home to two out of three busiest airports, JFK International Airport and LaGuardia Airport. You won’t have any problems with transportation as Long Island is connected to Brooklyn and Queens with nine bridges and 13 tunnels. In addition to this, the Long Island Rail Road works all the time thus making it quite easy to commute to anywhere in the city.
Advantages of moving from Manhattan to Long Island
There are many advantages to moving from Manhattan to Long Island. The following might include:
- Although it is considered to be a suburb, it has many amazing and fancy restaurants. Since Long Island is ethnically quite diverse, you will have the opportunity to try many international cuisines prepared by the best chefs.
- There are many entertaining cultural events for every age group. When you move here, you might feel a little bit lonely. However, due to the many events and activities organized all year, you will have the chance to meet many interesting people.
- The proximity to the beach must be one of the biggest advantages since you will have the most famous vacation destination just around the corner of your home.
- There are many family-friendly neighborhoods where you can find your piece after a day in a loud and busy city center.
Disadvantages of moving from Manhattan to Long Island
Since now you know all the advantages, it would be fair to list a few disadvantages as well.
- Commuting is the biggest disadvantage when you move from Manhattan to Long Island. You can easily spend several hours commuting due to traffic jams and rush hours. You should really take this into an account when you are considering moving to this island.
- Climate is not the best on Long Island. You can experience unbearable heat and humidity during the summer and cold winters with a couple of hurricanes and snowstorms.
- Lastly, if you wish to buy a house here, be prepared for high property taxes. The overall price of your desired property might be quite bigger due to these enormous taxes. For this reason, be careful when you choose a house for you and make sure your budget can handle it.
Moving from Manhattan to Long Island with children
Long Island is a good place to raise your children since it is quite safe and peaceful. However, since you are moving with your children, the whole relocation might be a problem for them. For this reason, you should explain to them all the reasons for the move and give them time to adjust. You can always include them in the whole process by taking them to house hunting or let them pack their items. In addition to this, Long Island has many renewed schools where your children can get the best education possible.
Moving from Manhattan to Long Island with pets
Whether you have a cat or a dog, you have to prepare them for the move as well. Cats are extremely sensitive when it comes to changing their surroundings since they do not like to leave their territory. For this reason, a visit to the vet’s office is a must both for a dog and cat owner. A vet will be able to tell you all the important things you need to do in order to successfully relocate with your pet.
Preparing for the big move
When you want to move, it is crucial to start on time, and this means a couple of months in advance. Set a budget for your move and try not to go over it. Get a good moving company that will help you to relocate all items to your new address. Then, make sure you pack your items correctly so they will not get damaged or lost during the transport. Lastly, try not to stress too much since your health is the most important. You can always try to reduce stress on a moving day with some techniques.
Moving from Manhattan to Long Island
As you can see, there are many advantages to moving from Manhattan to Long Island. It is important to stay calm through the whole ordeal. Do not forget to enjoy the new neighborhood once you make your relocation.